I bought a Lorwyn tournament pack and three boosters last Monday and managed to pick up some really nice green cards. I have now built a green elf deck, but that’s beside the point. I made a few changes to my Kithkin deck:
- OUT: Protective Bubble, IN: Wings of Velis Vel
- OUT: Sentinels of Glen Elendra, IN: Turtleshell Changeling
- OUT: Sentinels of Glen Elendra, IN: Faerie Trickery
- OUT: Disperse, IN: Faerie Trickery
- OUT: Mosquito Guard, IN: Goldmeadow Dodger
- OUT: Cenn’s Tactician, IN: Goldmeadow Dodger
- OUT: 2 × Battle Mastery, IN: 2 × Oblivion Ring
- OUT: Kinsbaile Balloonist, IN: Avian Changeling
- OUT: Veteran of the Depths, IN: Avian Changeling
- OUT: 2 × Plains, IN: 2 × Island
I found out on Saturday that the Goldmeadow Dodger is totally useless and also that I should only have changed one plains for one island. I ended up totally mana screwed most of the tournament!
When I arrived at Outer Limits on Saturday morning I managed to make a really good trade and picked up Reveillark, Ajani Goldmane and two copies of Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile in exchange for one copy of Garruk Wildspeaker. Lesson: know how much your cards are worth (both in monetary value and to you as a player.)
Before the tournament started I made the following changes to my deck:
- OUT: Veteran’s Armaments, IN: Reveillark
- OUT: Oblivion Ring, IN: Ajani Goldmane
- OUT: 2 × Kinsbaile Skirmisher, IN: 2 × Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile
Match 1: ME = 0, OPPONENT = 2
I was beaten by the Reveillark / Body Double combo with Momentary Blink continually activating Reveillark’s ability again and again. I made a really stupid mistake in game two where I was well ahead of the game and then my opponent cast Wrath of God and I forgot to counter it! I could have hit myself… I had the counter spell in my hand and the mana to play it.
Match 2: ME = 0, OPPONENT = 2
See match 4 of my last MTG post. Same opponent, same deck, same outcome.
Match 3: ME = 0, OPPONENT = 2
Very similar deck to Match 2, with the same outcome.
Match 4: ME = 0, OPPONENT = 2
I lost against a deck which was built against tribal decks of the Lorwyn block (which is exactly what my deck is).
Final result: 0 wins, 4 losses.
After the competition I picked up two copies of Door of Destinies and made the following additional changes:
- OUT: 1 × Island, IN: 1 × Plains
- OUT: 2 × Goldmeadow Dodger, IN: 2 × Door of Destinies
- OUT: 2 × Avian Changeling, IN: 2 × Fencer Clique
I think I need another copy of Door of Destinies because I have played four casual games now without seeing the card at all.
Saturday is the Shadowmoor pre-release and that should be fun. Until then I will play Time Stop and end this turn.